Desert Safari Trip Gone Wrong (Almost)


For someone who likes to travel and go on adventures, I surely suck at said likes.  I rarely travel and even if I do, it’s mostly around the Philippines.

Yesterday, though, even if I was under the scorching heat of the sun, I made it a point to visit the desert and ride a camel before it was all too late. My friends and I went on our DIY Desert Safari trip and I was more than happy that we did.  Most of the time when we make plans, the plan does not follow through because of laziness, or the heat.

Our main stop was Sealine. Everything is there. Camels, dune bashing, desert safari cruise, and the beach.

CAMEL STOP

Priced at QAR20, you’ll be able to ride a camel around the vicinity for a short distance. Short as in a few meters.

If you pay QAR50, though, the guide will let you go around the steep slopes of the desert. Think of the 3 Kings riding the camels in the desert to visit the baby that was born on Christmas Day.

I guess it was worth the experience for the price, I just didn’t like the fact that they whip the camel’s neck for them to either kneel or stand up. And they’ll moan in either exasperation or pain. I cannot tell which. I do not see any water nearby as well where they can drink. I just hope that they are taken care of.


DESERT SAFARI CRUISE and DUNE BASHING

There will be drivers with their Land Cruisers roaming the area asking tourists if they’ll want to ride with him for a small fee for an hour. There isn’t any insurance if something happens to you, so a word of advice. Our driver, though, had 15 years of experience and we totally got what we paid for, for such a measly price! He made sure to get our hearts pumping with every swerve and slope running that he could get! At the top of the desert is a clear white sand landscape, it’s hot but not so much that you wouldn’t want to miss the experience. It was windy as hell but surprisingly, the sand does not get caught up in the wind.

It’s a beautiful scenery. I mean, it’s not much. Just the desert, plain and bland. But beautiful, nonetheless. The desert sun in its Zenith, unperturbed by our frolicking souls and our appreciating hearts.


ATV and BIKE RENTALS

Where do I even begin? This is actually the meat of my post. As this experience was the most eventful and possibly the one I’ll remember for quite a long time.

I’ve had experience with driving an ATV before, back in The Philippines. I drove alongside my husband across the dirt roads. It was fun and I would love to do it again sometime. I have never driven a bike/ATV here. Heck, I don’t even drive. So when the opportunity came, well, quite frankly, I wasn’t up for it. I got scared and asked a friend to ride along with her.

Let me tell you this, the rush was exhilarating! I wanted my own bike. I wanted to drive one without any help, it looked so easy. And the teenagers who were also renting made it seem easy breezy! So I tried it. I freaking love it! If I had the opportunity to be reckless in my teenage years, I probably would have done so. I remember maneuvering the bike and remembering Bella Swan from Twilight when she wanted the thrill of the recklessness. I was that girl. Searching for the near-death. I got what I wanted though.

 

Yes.

 

I thought I’d die that day.

 

I’m glad I asked my friend to get off the bike as I try to maneuver it out of the soft sand atop the desert hill. I tried to turn around but I got stuck facing the flat plain atop the desert. One wrong move and I’ll go all the way down the hill. Who knows, the bike might flip and land on me.

Reverse-Forward-Reverse

I didn’t realize I was so close to the edge that the bike just naturally reversed all the way down the steep slope with me on it. I felt the rush. I felt panic. I screamed realizing what will become of me. I could not look behind me nor down the hill. I was scared I might hurt someone so I closed my eyes and screamed. I saw my friend disappear from my view as I continue to traverse downward slowly, then all at once…

 

I stopped screaming midway. I soon realized the bike wasn’t going to flip. It was meant for this. Then I was at the bottom of the hill. No blood, no broken bones, not even a scratch. I was fine. Just the bike stuck once again at the bottom of the hill because of the soft sand. Everyone got scared. My friend didn’t want to see what became of me. And I’m glad I asked her to get off the bike. I didn’t want her to experience that.

 

And yet, there was the thrill. I was scared and then I wasn’t. I thought I was going to die, then I didn’t. It made me think of my last thoughts before dying. While I was at sliding down the hill, I just kept thinking that I’ll horribly die. I wasn’t afraid of death, but I’m afraid of a painful one. I thought of my family and my husband afterward. I’m glad this was over.

I’m thankful I’m alive and well. I’m thankful I get to spend a quick trip to the desert with my friends who are up for anything. I’ll always remember this trip. One that I’ll hold dear to my heart.

 

Keep safe everyone.




Comments

Popular Posts