Goblin / Guardian: The Lonely and Great God - A Review from a non K-Drama watcher


I cannot consider myself as a fan of K Dramas. After all, I rarely watch them. So I guess, in that sense, this review of The Goblin or The Guardian will come from a quite objective point of view. You could say, I’m still searching for the perfect K Drama but I am not actively looking. I just happen to find interest in this one since people kept saying it’s good. After hearing the premise, I was interested but I kept putting it off as I did not want to join the bandwagon. After watching it, I am positive that I have NOT been converted. That is not to say that the series was bad... But it wasn’t that great either. Nevertheless, even though it didn’t make an astounding impression, I kept thinking about it after I finished the series. I kept seeing the characters in every sad song I sing or hear. It is a sad story.

 

The premise:  An Honorable General from Goryeo was punished for treason. He was reborn as a Guardian/Goblin and lives his life in search of a bride that could release him of his immortality by removing the sword that has been in his chest all this time. Removing the sword will kill the Goblin and return to ashes. The catch: The bride will continue to face death if she chooses not to remove the sword.

OK, writing that doesn’t sound compelling at all but everyone seems to like it.

My rating: 3.3/5

Let me explain.

As I said, it wasn’t bad. But it wasn’t great either. Let’s get the nuances out of the way first.

THE BAD:

*The usual romantic Korean drama tropes:

1. Where the guy is rich and the leading lady is dirt poor with evil relatives out to get her money.

2. The couple plays hard to get. I mean why?! The guy will be mean to the lady but will show a little empathy and compassion when he wants to. The lady will be forgiving.

I cannot get into this relationship dynamic. I always wondered why he has to be mean when he clearly likes her.

*It was freaking dragging. There were certainly moments when I’d rather scroll through Instagram than watch it. They could have removed a lot of the scenes. The last episode most especially. The long-ass side story of Wang Yeo and Sunny was just too much.

*The ending. Meh. I’ll have to spoil this one. Be warned. She gets reincarnated as the same person: A young student. I thought it was unfair that when she died (yes, she died because she’s selfless), she was allowed not to take the tea of Oblivion where she’ll forget all the memories of her current life. How do you even get reincarnated as the same person?? How? Are there rules regarding reincarnation?

*I know that age is just a number but I cannot help wonder if it’s okay to romanticize May-December affairs. Not judging but just wondering if it is alright.

*Leading lady is for sure a strong, and independent woman, but she’s just a nuance at times.

*The succeeding kissing scenes after the first one. I am so mad!!! Why does he always pull her for a surprise kiss?? I don’t get it! There was only one time when this was acceptable and that was when they were at the rooftop and they were about to kill Park Joong-Heon. That’s it. Please do regular kisses next time. Thanks!

*I thought it wasn’t consistent that Sunny retained her memory. Shouldn’t the Almighty’s will overpower that of the Grim Reaper’s hypnosis?

*Please don’t stalk people.

*Please if someone follows you and you’re uncomfortable, you’re allowed to say NO or call the police. We have learned this already in Twilight.

*To be honest, I couldn’t find enough chemistry between the two leads. I keep waiting for them to fall in love, and even when they did, it lacked… spark?

Okay, I’ve stopped ranting. I get it, the chase, playing hard-to-get. We romanticize this and think this is how real relationships work. This dynamic could be toxic in real relationships.

THE GOOD:

*the chase. Yes, I know what I said before, but relationships do take time. Just do not be mean to someone.

*The first kiss. Hihi! That’s all I can say about that.

*Eun-tak was actually endearing. There were a few people who replied to my Instagram story that found her annoying. There were times when she’s annoying, that’s true, but I find her personality likable.

*The bromance between The Goblin and the Grim Reaper. Their bromance had more chemistry than that of Goblin and Eun-tak.

*Eun-tak’s death was tragic and sad. Goblin’s long wait was even more heart-breaking. I couldn’t get over that. I have a terrible patience skill and waiting almost 1000 years for a bride, only for her to cause your death and wait another 9 years for her to not remember you, then yet another something years for her to reincarnate. Power to you Goblin.

 

Okay I’m done. The story was okay, it gets heavier each episode and I’m a sucker for sad stories. I guess this is just another series that I finished. It isn’t enough for me to watch another. Plus each episode lasts for more than an hour!! Please, I need rest.

 

Question:

*Eun-Tak wasn’t able to hold the sword but was able to the next episode. What changed?

 

 

 

Comments

Popular Posts